Dr. Julia Sachseder is an affiliated researcher at the oiip. She is also a post-doctoral fellow at the Department of International Relations at the Central European University. Julia earned her Dr.Phil from the Department of Political Science at the University of Vienna in 2020, exploring the intersections of transnational capital, gender and race in the production of political violence in Colombia’s armed conflict. Her research interests primarily involve the political economy and (post)coloniality of (border) security, migration, violence and gender as well as private, non-state and corporate actors in peace and conflict.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at Central European University /CEU) and Austrian Institute of International Affairs (oiip), since April 2021
- Graduation in Doctor of Philosophy (with distinction), April 2020
- Lecturer in Political Science | University of Vienna (IPW), January 2019
- Doctoral Candidate at the Institute of Political Science | University of Vienna, Austria, and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung PhD Fellow, April 2016 – November 2019
- Research Master in Political Science | Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, July 2013 – July 2015
- Erasmus-Bachelor in Political Science and Sociology | Sciences Po Lille, France, August 2012 – July 2013
- Bachelor in European Studies| University of Maastricht, Netherlands, August 2010 – July 2013
- 2020, with Saskia Stachowitsch and Clemens Binder, Constituting the ‘Refugee Crisis’ through Gender and Race. The Case of Frontex’s Risk Analysis, under Review by European Journal of International Security
- 2020, Cleared for Investment. The Intersections between Gender, Race and Transnational Capital in the Production of Sexual Violence and Internal Displacement in Colombia, in: International Feminist Journal of Politics. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616742.2019.1702473
- 2020, with Sara Meger: Militarized Peace: A Feminist Audit of the Peace Deal in Colombia, in: Globalization. https://doi.org/10.1080/14747731.2020.1712765
- 2019, with Saskia Stachowitsch: The Gendered and Racialized Politics of Risk Analysis. The Case of Frontex, in: Critical Studies on Security, online.
- 2016, 8 Per-cent Peace. The Colombian Peace Deal Ignores Structural Problems [German: 8 Prozent Frieden. Der kolumbianische Frieden geht an strukturellen Problemen vorbei], in: Internationale Politik und Gesellschaft, online.
- 2021, The Coloniality of Violence: Women’s experiences of violence at the intersection of transnational capital, gender and race in Colombia’s armed conflict, forthcoming in Security Studies: Critical Perspectives (SSCP). Oxford University Press
- 2017, with Anna Gius and Verena Kettner: Vulva-Riot! A Manifest for Resistance [in German: Vulva-Riot! Eine Widerstandsschrift], in: Dauerkämpfe. Feministische Zeitdiagnosen und Strategien, (eds.) Brigitte Bargetz, Eva Kreisky, Gundula Ludwig; Frankfurt/New York: Campus Verlag.
- 2014, Enhancing Participation and Transparency in the EU Interactive Policy Making Initiative. In Practices of Transparency: Implementation and Challenges. Publisher: Maastricht University (4): 29-54. https://doi.org/10.26481/marble.2014.v4
Tv-, Online- And Print Media
- London School of Economics (LSE), 31/03/2021, with Columba Achilleos-Sarll and Saskia Stachowitsch: “#Securityhasnogenderfrontex, Border Security, and the Politics of Gender-Neutrality” (https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/wps/2021/03/31/securityhasnogender-frontex-border-security-and-the-politics-of-gender-neutrality/)
- International Feminist Journal of Politics, 16/03/2020: “The Coloniality of Violence. How Transnational Capital (Re)produces Violence against Women” (https://www.ifjpglobal.org/blog/2020/3/14/cleared-for-investment-capital-gender-and-race-in-colombias-armed-conflict?fbclid=IwAR0TbohrrIE5Q66k5kT6J8aDy0IqolsD51fWgYtO5BmrxnIpiFz8aB0Y01E)
- Progress in Political Economy, 11/02/2020, with Sara Meger: “Militaristic Neoliberalism: An Impediment to Peace in Post-Conflict Colombia” (http://ppesydney.net/militaristic-neoliberalism-an-impediment-to-peace-in-post-conflict-colombia/?fbclid=IwAR3ieN2opP91DoIAO5FAyZUquhTDX2EiHhoJ7WuQ8H3xTpuKbj-A3UAfxLQ)
- Newspaper Magazin Der Standard, 08/06/2019: “An End to Violence and Insecurity is far from Reality” (https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000103491624/kolumbien-forscherin-ein-ende-der-gewalt-gibt-es-nicht)
- ARTE TV, 06/08/2019: Sexual Violence as Strategic Weapon of War in Colombia (https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/086089-064-A/colombie-les-violences-sexuelles-comme-arme-de-guerre/)