Irene Costantini is an Affiliated Researcher at the oiip. She is also a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Naples, l’Orientale and adjunct professor at the University of Bologna. She holds a PhD from the University of Trento (School of International Studies). Prior to her current position, she worked as a research fellow at the University of York (UK) and at the Middle East Research Institute (Erbil, Iraq). Her research interests include the politics of international interventions in conflict affected-contexts and post-conflict transition, focusing on the Middle East and North Africa region.
- PhD in International Studies, University of Trento, School of International Studies (2011-2015)
- Visiting PhD student at Salahaddin University, College of Law and Political Science, Department of Political Science, Erbil, Iraq (2013)
- Visiting PhD student at the London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of International Relations – Middle East Center (2013)
- MSc in Development Studies, University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies (2010-2011)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Naples, L’Orientale, Department of Human and Social Sciences (2017-ongoing)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Naples, L’Orientale, Department of Human and Social Sciences (2020-21)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Bologna, Department of Political and Social Sciences (2020-21)
- Research Fellow, Middle East Research Institute, Erbil, Iraq (2016-2017)
- Research Fellow, University of York, Department of Politics (2015-2016)
- Costantini, Irene, 2018. Statebuilding in the Middle East and North Africa: the aftermath of regime change. Routledge Studies in Intervention and Statebuilding series. Abingdon: Routledge.
- “Federal versus Unitary States: Ethnic Accommodation of Tamils and Kurds”, (with Dylan O’Driscoll , and Serhun Al) Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, 26:4, 351-368, 2020.
- “Fragility and resilience in the European Union’s security strategy: comparing policy paradigms” (with Edoardo Baldaro), Italian Political Science Review/Rivista Italiana di Scienza Politica, 2020.
- "The Iraqi protest movement: social mobilization amidst violence and instability", British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, 2020.
- "A solution in Libya: elections, mediation and a victor’s peace", Middle East Policy, 2019, XXVI, 4: 149-159.
- "Unpacking the displacement-migration nexus: evidence from northern Iraq", (with Kamaran Palani), International Migration, 2020, 58 (4): 3-20.
- "From Liberal Statebuilding to Counterinsurgency and Stabilization: the International Intervention in Iraq", (with Roberto Belloni). Ethnopolitics, 2019, 18 (5): 509–525.
- "Practices of exclusion, narratives of inclusion: violence, population movements and identity politics in post-2014 northern Iraq", (with Dylan O’Driscoll). Ethnicities, 2020, 20 (3): 481-500.
- "La partita degli sfollati di Iraq". Limes, Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica, 2017, 7: 69–74.
- "A neoliberal rentier system: new challenges and past economic trajectories in Iraq". The International Spectator, 2017, 52 (1): 61–75.
- "Conflict Dynamics in post-2011 Libya: a political economy perspective", Conflict, Security & Development, 2016, 16 (5): 405–422.