Sherin Gharib is a researcher at the Austrian Institute for International Affairs and a lecturer at the Vienna University of Economics and Business. Her fields of research are political transformation processes, Islamist movements, state and non-state actors as well as the EU foreign and security policy towards the Middle East. Her regional focus lies on the MENA-region. She is currently working on a project dealing with innovation and technologies in Egypt and Algeria. In addition, she was working on the research project „The normative impact of EU foreign and security policy in the Middle East”, where the changes and continuities in the EU’s relations with post-Arab Spring societies (Egypt and Tunisia in particular) were analysed.
- University of Vienna, Arabic and Islamic Studies (with distinction). Diploma Thesis: “NGOs as civil society actors in Egypt – between co-optation and restriction”. 2006-2013
- University of Vienna, Political Science (with distinction). Diploma Thesis: “Corruption in Egypt – The ambivalence of the anti-corruption policy in an authoritarian regime”. 2006-2011
- Scientific Researcher, Austrian Institute for International Affairs, since 2016
- Lecturer Vienna University of Economics and Business, since 2012
- Austrian Development Agency, 2014-2015
- Austrian Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs, 2013-2014
- Research internship, oiip, 2013
- Scholarship office, 2011-2012
- Research internship, National Defense Academy Vienna, 2011
- Austro-Egyptian Chamber of Commerce, 2009-2010
- Vienna University of Economics and Business, since 2012
Arabic for Beginners I-II
- Member of the Austrian Political Science Association (AuPSA)
- Member of the European International Studies Association (EISA)
- Member of the International Studies Association (ISA)
- Member of the European-Mediterranean Study Commission (EuroMeSCo)
- Gharib, Sherin: « Dealing with refugee flows in Austria – a crisis of policy? » In: A quarterly journal of the Turkish Foreign Policy Institute. 2015.
- Gharib, Sherin: « Corruption in Egypt – An analysis of corruption and anti-corruption policy in an authoritarian regime », Publisher : Diplomica Verlag. 2012.
- Co-authored: « IFK Aktuell : Conflict lines in the Middle East – Crisis-management as a guarantee for stability?» 2011. (scientific journal focusing on security policy)
- Co-authored : « Polis Aktuell: Corruption ». 2013. (scientific journal for teaching staff)
- Co-authored : « Tunisia at the Crossroads : A study on transition and democracy consolidation» oiip (Austrian Institute for International Affairs). Commissioned by OMV. 2013.
- Al-Bahloul, Zaynab ; Gharib, Sherin : « A Summary : Unrest, Protest and Revolution : Sea Change in the Mediterranean. Anna Lindh Foundation ». Panel Discussion: Common Action 2013 of the Austrian Network of Anna Lindh Foundation. 2013.
- Co-authored : LexisNexis : An Anti-Corruption Glossary: www.compliance-praxis.at/.